Fiber Arts Bloggers
Previous | Next

Thursday, October 13, 2005

Dyeing

Well this weekend we are going to do some yarn dyeing. I bought 10 skeins of "Dye your Own" from Knitpicks. I think it costs 3.00 per skein for 200 + yards. Hubby bought me galleoons of Kool Aide from the local supermarket and I think we will have a ball. Hee Hee - pun intended. The only glitch will come if Mr. Postman doesn't see fit to deliver the package. He's kinda cranky that way. In any case I have some green yarn (Christmas green) Colinette "Skye" and I think I'll add some Blues and yellows to that so that it doesn't look like a wall of lawn when knit up. Instead it will have some chartreuse and Blue green in it as well. I do love green yarn.

I have a super jacket design (mine) that I'll make a prototype for. The main jacket will be knit from Muench "Touch Me" and Rowan "Kidsilk Haze" in silver and that stuff is so expensive that I believe a prototype is called for. For the kid mohair I will use CPY "Kid Merino"

That "Kid Merino" is great stuff. SOOOOO soft and MUCH less costly than "kidsilk haze" or "Douceur et Soie"

Making a protype is also good for pattern checking. (No wonky patterns here).

Now I have an observation/gripe. Often people slam "craft store" yarns because in the past the quality was not up to snuff. I have noticed that the not only has the quality of these yarns increased, but they seem to be runs from the same mills that sell to more costly yarn companies like say - Gedifra or Classic Elite. (Yeah a lot of these yarns seem to be from European runs. Patons "pooch" for example, is nearly identical fiber content etc. except for the dyework to some superbly expensive European yarns) These high end yarns also have more acrylic content in them than they used to, and something like Lion Brand "wool ease" sells for 2.99 a ball and has 25% wool content. A similar yarn by an "repectable" company with the same wool content and feel will sell for twice that! And it gets more respect from yarn snobs as well! (Being a former yarn snob myself I feel I can make that point without slamming anyone.) I guess as a recovering yarn snob, i feel a need to point out that taking a look and buying a "craft store" yarn is not in any way shameful! Make that sweater out of "Wool Ease" and love it to death! Hey - Barneys of New York uses Lion brand as one of their mills and they are not exactly, umm, bargain basement.

Don't forget to look at Jo Ann fabric Stores and Hobby Lobby as well. They have their own home yarn lines and they are pretty good too. They also appear to be from Good mills too.

1 Comments:

Blogger bethieee said...

Hi.. new here, hope you don't mind a comment.
I am less a yarn snob than a fiber snob and unfortunately, there are very few yarns of straight natural fibers at the craft stores that generally looking isn't worth the bother. (There are quite a few yarn stores I don't bother with for much the same reason...)
LB Fishermans Wool is a notable exception and my household's standard for dye work, Patons Classic Merino is a recent discovery, and there are a few cottons (Glace comes to mind) but aside from that, very little else is interesting to me.
The unfortunate end of this is that it seems that as the 'craft store brands' branch out to 'yarn store quality' lines, their prices go up on everything, even the bulk acrylics. Has this been true in your experience, or do I have an outdated sense of what the bulk acrylic yarns should cost? (I haven't exactly been pricing them regularly... giggle)

9:28 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home